As a plastic surgeon in Frisco and Dallas, TX, I tell my facelift patients that there is no ideal age to have any surgical procedure.
What are the first signs of aging on the face?
The aging process is completely unique to each person, so you likely won’t age the same way as your friends or family members do. Both lifestyle and genetic factors play roles in determining how and when you begin to show signs of aging. Typical signs of aging often include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin laxity
- Brown spots or other forms of hyperpigmentation
- Loss of volume, especially under the eyes or in the cheek area
How can you tell if you need a facelift?
When a patient feels like they are losing volume in their face and they perceive a jowl and loose skin in their neck, consideration could be given to contemplate surgery. In general, smaller, earlier changes are not perceived by patients or their friends as a “surgical change” and look more natural.
We can assess patients and clinically analyze them to determine what their options are both from a surgical perspective as well as review any nonsurgical options there may be. We call this comprehensive approach Total Facial Rejuvenation, and it may pair a facelift with some of the following procedures:
- Neck lift surgery tightens the neck’s skin and muscle and reduces the underlying fat.
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) removes lax, droopy eyelid skin or repositions fat to smooth the contours around the eye.
- Brow lift procedures elevate the eyebrows, creating a more alert appearance.
- Dermal fillers smooth out wrinkles and restore facial volume that is lost during the aging process.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic relaxes the small facial muscles responsible for dynamic wrinkles, diminishing the appearance of crow’s feet, frown lines, or horizontal forehead lines.
- Laser resurfacing improves the skin’s texture and tone, creating a smoother, more youthful-looking complexion.
While some people are eligible for facelift surgery in their late 40s or early 50s, others can delay surgery until their 60s or beyond. When fillers and other nonsurgical options can no longer offer the type of results you want, you may be a good candidate for surgery.
How many years younger do you look after a facelift?
When performed by a skilled and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, a facelift can often take about 7 years off your appearance.
How long do facelift results last?
I often remind my patients from the Dallas area that facelift surgery is not permanent. Aging will continue, but you can expect to enjoy your facelift for about 8 to 10 years. I explain more about second facelift procedures in this related blog post.
If you’re considering a facelift, it’s best to consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss the rejuvenation options that best suit your individual needs. Use our online form to request a consultation or call my office at (214) 645-3112 to schedule an appointment.