Meet Dr. Kenkel
With decades of experience and an established record of leadership in the field of plastic surgery, Dr. Kenkel is recognized as one of the best plastic surgeons in Dallas, Texas. And when it comes to caring for his patients, he puts his extensive knowledge and innovative thinking into practice, combining the latest and best science with refined surgical techniques for optimal safety, comfort, and results.
A Trusted Authority
Dr. Kenkel is the past president of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the leading professional organization of plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and specialize in cosmetic plastic surgery. In addition, he is the past president of the Dallas Society of Plastic Surgery and also serves as a director of the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
He actively advocates for new technologies, speaking around the country about lasers and light-based technologies and teaching excisional and liposuction based techniques and safety considerations for body contouring ultrasound-assisted liposuction to plastic surgeons around the world. At our practice, new technologies give Dr. Kenkel more treatment options for our patients, thanks to our location on campus at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Kenkel has authored more than 150 peer- reviewed publications and numerous book chapters, and co-authored a book on ultrasound assisted liposuction. His research focuses primarily on laser and light based devices and their tissue interaction, as well as safety surrounding body contouring procedures. He is in the process of developing a non-invasive imaging center to help assess the aging process and the effect of devices on aging.
His clinical practice focuses on nonsurgical and surgical aesthetic procedures of the face, breast, and body. He sees patients at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Outpatient Surgery Center. He operates primarily there and at Clements University Hospital.
In the Media: In addition to sharing his expertise with his peers and the next generation of plastic surgeons, Dr. Kenkel is often consulted by the media as an authority on plastic surgery.
Patient Testimonials: Patients trust Dr. Kenkel and are happy to share their experiences and reviews.
Dr. Kenkel's Credentials
Noteworthy excerpts from Dr. Kenkel's CV are below. You can also view his full CV.
Board Certification: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Medical Licensure: Licensed in Texas, Florida, and California
- Bachelor of Science, 1985, from Boston College in Chestnut Hill, MA
- Doctorate of Medicine, 1989, from Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, DC
- General Surgery, 1989 to 1994, at Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, DC
- Plastic Surgery, 1994 to 1996, at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX
Honors and Awards
- Clinician of the Year 2015. Department of Plastic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- ASAPS Jerome R. Klingbell Award for Dedication to Teaching, 2013
- America's Top Doctors 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
- Top 1% of physicians by U.S. News & World Report, 2012
- Best Doctors U.S. News & World Report, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Teacher of the Year Award, Dept. of Plastic Surgery UTSW 2012
- Best Doctors in Dallas 2012, 2013, 2014
- America's Top Plastic Surgeons 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Who's Who in America 2009,12
- The Ted Lockwood Award for Excellence in Body Contouring, 2009
- Best Doctors in America 2005-2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Texas Super Doctors, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors 2015
- Holder of the Rod J. Rohrich, M.D. Distinguished Professorship in Wound Healing and Plastic Surgery, 2005
- Outstanding Mentoring for Plastic Surgery Research at UT Southwestern, 2003
- Plastic Surgery Resident's Excellence in Teaching Award 1996
- Chief Resident Teaching Award presented by fellow residents for outstanding resident education, 1994
- Student Teaching Award presented by the Medical School Class of 1993
- The Marie J. Simonian Award for Outstanding Resident Clinical Presentation, 1992
- Outstanding Service as a Resident at the District of Columbia General Hospital, 1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1989
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons (AAPS), Fellow (2005-present)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS), Fellow (2000-present)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), member from 2000 to present, president in 2011, board member from 2005 to 2013, secretary from 2007 to 2009
- American Society for Education and Research Foundation (ASERF), member from 2000 to present, treasurer in 2006 and 2007
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Inc., Inc. (ASLMS), Member (2005-present)
- Association of Academic Chairmen of Plastic Surgery (AACPS), Associate Member (1998-present)
- Dallas Society of Plastic Surgeons (DSPS), Past President, 2004
- Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS), member from 1998 to present
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, (ISAPS), Member (2011)
- Texas Medical Association (TMA), member from 1998 to present
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons (TSPS), member from 1998 to present
- Authored over 130 scientific articles and textbook chapters on lasers, facial and body contouring surgery.
- Editor, "Selected Readings in Plastic Surgery." SRPS is the most up-to-date teaching tool for plastic surgeons in training and in practice in the United States and thirty-eight foreign countries.
- Associate Editor of the Aesthetic Surgery Journal
Life Outside the Practice
Dr. Kenkel grew up in the Washington, DC, area. Since moving to Texas, he has been the long-time team physician for the Dallas Stars hockey team (1996 to present). He enjoys spending time with his wife, Suzanne, and their 2 children, Matt and Ashley. Dr. Kenkel and Suzanne both volunteer for the DFW Humane Society, as well. As animal lovers, they cherish the opportunity to help rescue animals and find new homes for them.
Dr Kenkel loves music and incorporates a diverse range of music in his professional and personal life. He enjoys playing golf, wake surfing, crossfit and running the "pups".